Analyzing the Source on Slavery
1. Who wrote the document? Describe the author's qualifications and background.
2. When was the document written?
3. Where was it written?
4. Did the author have firsthand knowledge of the event? or, did the author report what others saw and heard?
5. Does the author have a lot of knowledge about the event written?
6. What type of document is this? (diary, letter, speech, journal article, autobiography, etc.?)
7. Who is the author writing for?
8. Why was the document written? or what motivated the author to write the document?
9. Is the author for or against slavery?
10. Is the author biased or is the author trying to be neutral about slavery? Why?
11. Do you believe the author? Why / why not?
12. How does the author describe slavery? Give three examples...